How to Memorize

So how much Scripture do you have memorized? Is it hard for you to do? What techniques do you use?

I am no expert at memorizing Scripture but I did want to share something with you that I learned in 7th grade (U.S. History) about how to memorize things. It is actually a pretty easy method:
  1. Break the verse down into smaller segments.
  2. Memorize each segment
  3. Recite the whole verse together
  4. Come back to the verse about 1 hour later and repeat steps 1-3 as necessary
  5. Come back to the verse about 1 day later and repeat steps 1-3 as necessary
  6. Come back to the verse about 1 week later and repeat steps 1-3 as necessary
I hope this makes sense. If you have any techniques you would like share please do so.

Have a great day!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haha.. I'm bad at that : )

Psalm 142:
I cry aloud to the Lord, before him I lift up my complaint, before him I tell him my trouble.
When my spirit grows faint within me, it is you who knows my way.
Look to my right and see no is concerned for me, no one cares for my life. ...

HAHA! Thats not even the whole Psalm I know.. I did that from memory, thats my fav. Psalm, and thats just from reading it so many times over. I know I messed it up pretty bad.. but well, it's not that bad considering I haven't read it in a couple of months :)

And: Four score and seven years ago our fathers fought for a new nation. Conceived in liberty and dedicated to the propostion that all men were created equal. ...now we are engaged in a great civil war. ... [add a lot of words...]

Yeah, killed that as well..(and didnt finish it) we had to memorize that back in 6th grade. :P

Oh how about..
our father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name. thy kindom come, thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. give us this day our daily bread and forgive our trespassess as we forgive those who trespass against us. lead us not into temptation but deliever us from evil. for thine is the kingdom and the power, and the glory, forever. amen.
: )

YEA. thats my awesome memorizing skills.

But I agree with you, thats how I memorized [some] of the gettysburg address .. by reading it, saying it outloud, and going back and doing that over and over and over...

SoNa