Expectations...

When we are in any kind of a relationship with someone we naturally develop a set of expectations for that relationship and what we expect that person to do or give. This is true in all of our relationships. Some of the relationships we have we expect very little from people while other relationships we have higher expectations. I think most people who are married have a tendency to expect too much of their spouse. Most of us will at some point gravitate towards expecting our spouse to fill our needs for acceptance, identity, security, and purpose that can only be truly found in Christ.

I know for me I have done this many times. I have taken my eyes off of Jesus and as such I have stopped allowing Him to be meeting those needs and I started "requiring" Angie to meet those needs. That is an unrealistic expectation and unfair for me to place that upon her. The fact of the matter is that God intends for us to seek our basic needs from Him so that we can be a source of love and encouragement to others. In marriage, God expects me to love Him so much that I have an abundance of love and compassion for Angie. If I am able to constantly develop my relationship with Him then I will be better able and equipped to develop my relationship with her.

0 comments: