Depression

Depression is one of those things that churches have traditionally swept under the rug and hoped it would just go away. Sadly it was said or thought by many in churches that if a person was truly born again and had a solid relationship with God then they would never be depressed. Thankfully this trend has started to change and many churches are starting address depression in honest and real ways. In doing this I hope that we will always seek after Scripture when we seek to deal with the issue of depression.

While it may sound trite and overly simple prayer is still one of the greatest weapons in the fight against depression. There is no greater prayer in Scripture about depression than that of Psalm 142:7. If you are someone who deals with depression then I would encourage you to make this prayer become a part of your battle.

3 comments:

Sonya said...

Why just that verse? Why not the whole thing...

"I cry aloud to the Lord; I lift up my voice to the Lord for mercy. I pour out my complaint before him; before him I tell my trouble. When my spirit grows faint within me, it is YOU who know my way. In the path where I walk men have hidden a snare for me. Look to my right and see; no one is concerned for me. I have no refuge; no one cares for my life. I cry to YOU, O Lord; I say, "YOU alone are my refuge, my portion in the land of hte living." Listen to my cry, for I am in desperate need; rescue me from those who pursue me, for they are too strong for me.
Set me free from my prison, that I may praise YOUR name. Then the righteous will gather about me because of YOUR goodness to me."

I've never found a Psalm that fit me so well. Though, time has changed the fit of it...at times.

Sonya said...

hehe, I wrote a post off of your post. It might be all over, but it's just me :)

Amber said...
This comment has been removed by the author.