Downfall

Have you ever watched a person, church or denomination as it is in the midst of a downfall?

I know I have and it is one of the most painful and heart wrenching things to watch. I remember when I was in Seminary and the Episcopal Church was reeling from the decision to allow an openly gay bishop. The consequences of that decision have been far reaching and devastating for many good and faithful people. Fro me though the most difficult part was that I knew that along the journey that led them to that decision they were given many opportunities by God to turn back to Him. Since that time I have seen similar patterns in churches and people. I see them walking down a path towards destruction and I see God constantly giving them reasons and opportunities to turn back to Him. When we are able to see those opportunities being ignored then we begin to better understand how God would be justified in allowing His people to fall into disgrace. This same basic pattern in s descibed for us in Jeremiah 8.

In this chapter we see how all hope will be lost in the people of Judah. This hope though was lost because they refused to return to Him (verse 5). I think the fact that we see the idea of refusal is important because I believe it implies opportunities to accept. In other words you cannot refuse something if it is never offered. In this case, God's people could never have rejected the opportunity to repent if it was never given to them.

So are in a place where you feel as though hope is lost? Is you church in a place where hope has been lost? If so I think you would be wise to go before God and earnestly seek His forgiveness. Ask Him to show you the opportunities missed and do so with heart that desires to learn from those mistakes. Nevertheless always remember that we should seek God's forgiveness for missing those opportunities and to accept the peace that He grants when we truly seek Him in repentence.

0 comments: