The Qualifications for Deacons, Elders, and Pastors-1 Timothy 3-Part 4

Some Simple Question: Is it ok for a Christian to drink alcohol? Is it ok for a Christian leader to drink alcohol? Even if it is ok for me to drink is it ok for you to drink?

These are just a few of the questions many Christians have been discussing and arguing over for years. One of the reasons for so much discussion is that there are sound biblical arguments for all sides of the various debates. I bring this up in this series because Paul himself addresses the issue.

In verse 3 Paul uses the word Paroinos
which basically means to be drunk or given to wine. In fact the NASB translate the phrase as "not be addicted to wine." Yet, Paul does seem to stop short of saying that an overseer can not drink any alcohol ever. It appears as though his emphasis is on drunkenness and alcoholism.

In verse 2 Paul uses the word Nephaleos which has some debated meaning to it. It either refers to "abstaining from wine, either entirely or at least from its immoderate use" or it refers to avoiding not being in control of what you are doing or saying. Either of these definitions could fit well into this passage. I personally tend to lean towards the reference to being in control of what you are doing and saying. I lean this direction because of two reasons. One, if Paul was talking specifically about alcohol use why would he so closely repeat such a requirement in verse 3. Two, the context of the other words around it seem to be more about self control than specific actions such as drinking. Given my reasoning I can easily see how someone would disagree with me. I am ok with this. :)

In the end, I must continue in my belief that it is ok for me to have alcohol. There is nothing in these verses that show me (beyond any reasonable doubt) that this particular stance is unbiblical. I fully respect and understand how others would disagree with me. I would never not fellowship, serve or minister with someone who viewed these verses differently. A person's views on Christians drinking alcohol is simply not a core issue and as such should have little impact on our ability to work together.

I hope all of this made sense because it did as I was typing it. :)

0 comments: