Josiah's Vulnerability

If you do not know the story of King Josiah (2 Kings 22-23) I would encourage you to take some time and read through it. It is an amazing story of how the written word of God can truly change people lives and even whole nations. I have known the basics of this story for a number of years now. In fact, most of what I have understood about those events where in the context of the power of God's Word. As I was reading through chapter 23 today I realized something about Josiah and his trust in God.

In 2 Kings 23:11 we read that Josiah destroyed some of the nations horses and chariots because they had been dedicated or given to the sun. This just one of the many steps Josiah took to purify and clean the land of Judah. In some ways though this step may have been the hardest because it weakened Judah's ability to defend herself. In essence Josiah made his Kingdom and ultimately himself more vulnerable. The only explanation for this kind of 'foolish' action would have been a trust and faith in God to fulfill the promise He had made to him. In 2 Kings 22:18-20 we read how God's wrath will be exacted upon Judah but not during Josiah's reign. Josiah believed God at His word. He believed that only through his faithfulness to God would Judah be protected.

He could not build walls high enough or an army big enough to thwart the will of God. The only other King (excluding Christ) to receive the same level of adoration as Josiah was King David. He was a man who turned all of his heart, all of his soul and all of his might towards God and His word. For this Judah was spared for a time. And when Josiah did eventually turn from God he was killed (2 Chronicles 35:20-27).

In the end Josiah had to make a choice. He could either follow God or turn from Him. I believe some days these was an easy choice and some days it was not. The same is true for us. Each day we are presented with many choices. God has granted us free will to follow Him in those choices or to ignore His voice. Which path will you take today?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

since my parents named me after king josiahs, I'm very familiar with the story. It was nice to read you post. Great article!

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my site, it is about the CresceNet, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://www.provedorcrescenet.com . A hug.