Basics of the Faith

Have you ever considered what are supposed to be the most basic elements of the Christian Faith? I know for me I have always wondered where is the line between the basic course and the advanced course in Christianity. Today, I came across a list in Hebrews 6 that gives us some insight into what are some of the basic tenets of Christian Faith.

According to the author of Hebrews here are the starting points for developing a basic understanding of the Christian Faith:
  1. Repentance from works that only lead to death (sin)
  2. Faith in God
  3. Ceremonial washings, baptism could be included in this
  4. Laying on of Hands
  5. Resurrection of the Dead
  6. Eternal Judgment
For me I was surprised to see some of the items on this list included in the basic Christianity Course. To think that my understanding of laying on of hands and baptism should be a part my foundation level understanding of Christianity changes how I look at both my own faith and how I teach others. As a result over the next few weeks I will be taking a look at each one of these areas. It is my hope to to not only more fully develop my own understanding of these issues but to also help other Christians create a more solid foundation for their faith. As I work through some of these issues I would appreciate any thoughts or comments you have. Remember iron sharpens iron.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amazing isn't it that the first issues of the faith are tough issues for the modern day believer?Why is it so? "Instant coffee" syndrome may b one reason for this sad if not tragic situation. Easy believism and impatient preachers concerned with numbers of decisions for Jesus and not with genuine conversions.
The Lord said a disciple is not greater than his teacher.If the teacher has no idea about the issues of Hebrew 6 how shall he teach the new believers the same?