What Are You Doing Today?


Many of you who read this blog on a regular basis have heard about the passions in my life. For those of you who have not let me give you some insight into my world.

I am currently serving as the Student Pastor (Minister) at University Baptist Church in Macomb, Illinois. This basically means that I work with 7th graders thru college. I love my job. I love the students I work with each week. I love getting together with them and just hanging out. I miss them when they are gone during Christmas and Spring Breaks. They are one my great passions in life. I hurt when they hurt. I rejoice when they rejoice. I am sad when I see them doing things that I know God does not want them to do. These are days that I am so broken for their friends that I am in tears. Their salvation, spiritual growth and the salvation of their friends are at the forefront of so much of my life.

So why do I share this with you today? You know I am not totally sure. I suppose at some level I want people to know how much I love working with students. Along with that I want people to realize how wonderful students are. I have heard a number of comments about both college students and teenagers that make me so sad. So many people look down upon these young people. Sadly, many of their parents are the worst offenders. People look at students and see raging hormones and freaks. While at some level this is true they are so much more than that.

When I look at students I see incredible creations of God. I see young people who not only have great potential for the future but also incredible talents for today. The students, just like the generations, before them can literally change the world. Yes, they are a lot different than even my generation but that mean I should look down upon them. In fact, we need to be doing the opposite. Those of us in the older generations need to be the ones who are lifting up and encouraging this group of young people. It amazes me to see the difference in a student when they begin to see that they have the support of older family and friends. The accomplish great things when they have the love and support of old people like me.

So have you hugged a young person today? Have you told them that you believe in them? Have you told them that you believe they can change the world? If not why?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I haven't had the chance to hug a student today. I have hugged a little person though. And little people are BEYOND COOL!!!! But, that wasn't the challenge. Would it be okay if I substituted a Student Minister and hugged you instead??? I love you sweetie! And I love when I get to see your passion in action!

Anonymous said...

Does that mean I get to hug myself? Cool! Well, I guess I can hug someone else too....

Vicki