Leviticus and The Lord's Super

For some time now I have been really bothered by the Roman Catholic belief of Transubstantiation. The Council of Trent defined Transubstantiation as ""that wonderful and singular conversion of the whole substance of the bread into the Body, and of the whole substance of the wine into the Blood – the species only of the bread and wine remaining – which conversion indeed the Catholic Church most aptly calls Transubstantiation" Ever since I first heard of this belief I have had this knot in within in me that just did not think that it was accurate or true but I really could not find any kind of relevant Scripture that seemed to refute the belief.

This changed for me the other night when I was reading Leviticus 3. In this chapter God is outlining some of the sacrifices that must be made and at the very end He tells the people to not eat any fat or any blood. This just seem to click to me. My thought how could transubstantiation be true when Jesus said He came not to destroy the law but to fulfill it. This command to not eat blood was meant for as ordinance for all generations. Therefore Jesus did not remove this command and it would make no sense for the wine at the Eucharist to become blood in any way beyond a symbolic nature.

So I would like to encourage you just as my pastor encouraged our church this week. Take some time and read Leviticus because there really is some neat stuff in it. :)

0 comments: